I’ve grown tired of eating bagels every damn morning. I’m completely over it, it’s not good for me, and it’s putting a dent in my tummy toning journey!
So I decided to try something different. I scoured the net for some healthy breakfast options and all I found were foods that belonged in a 5-year-old’s lunch box (peanut butter and banana sandwiches? really?) or annoying superfood recipes with “quinoa” and “chia seeds.”
It’s like the health industry just chooses an obscure ingredient, “crowns” it as the best thing on the planet, and everyone suddenly wants to inject it in their recipes! If alligator guts is the next “superfood,” are we going to be eating that for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, too?
And most importantly, it’s like impossible to find a recipe without eggs. And eating eggs everyday as a “healthy option” is debatable.
So I said screw it! I’m going to make my own recipe.
I call it the Vegetable Breakfast Burrito!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A half-handful of diced & sliced onions, tomatoes, green peppers, red peppers, collard greens, and red cabbage:
2. Reduced sodium Woos-ter-sheer sauce (Worschestire sauce). I like spelling things how they’re said sometimes, sorry not sorry!
3. Whole Wheat Tortilla
3. Mozzarella Cheese
- Then you’re going to heat up a non-stick skillet with an oil of your choice. No one’s judging. I used a tablespoon of butter.
When it’s hot enough (you’ll hear it start to crackle), flash fly the onions and peppers:
2. Then you’re going to cook it until the onions are “translucent” like those fancy schmancy chefs usually say. But I just cook them ’til they’re slightly brown (or “caramelized” if you’re snobby).
2. Then you’re going to add the red cabbage and collard greens. I put the tomatoes aside – I want the tomatoes to retain its “crunch.” But if you have no qualms about soft tomatoes, throw ’em in, no one’s judging *shrug*.
3. At this point, I added a few droplets of Woos-ter-sheer sauce, plus a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
4. And then, I prepare my wheat tortilla. You can leave it as is or toast it a bit. I left it as is. And then you just place the veggies on top! Yum.
5. And then you’re going to add cheese.
6. Next, you’re going to fold it up.
OH SH**! I FORGOT TO ADD THE TOMATOES!
Okay there. Added.
YUM. The veggies are super crispy and crunchy, and the Woos-ter-sheer sauce gives it a smokey flavor that will wake up your taste buds in the morning!
Now, normally, I would add something like sausage to this meal (quick and easy to cook), erm, but I forgot to buy it from the grocery store so …
Guess it’s a great recipe for you vegetarians! But I’m no vegetarian myself.